How do I know if I need site certification for my fuel tank? NEW ZEALAND

April 1, 2019

If you’re in New Zealand


Site certification can be a difficult process and we recommend making contact as early as possible with the right test certifier that can help. You could either contact us, (see details below) and we can recommend the right person for you. Our staff have extensive experience right across the country and are likely to save you a lot of frustration. Call us today to discuss your requirements.


Vern Hoyle for (North Island queries) 0272207653 or [email protected]

Guthrie Deck for (South Island queries) 0212209749 or [email protected]

John Garside for special projects 021840569 or [email protected]


If you would like to continue the search yourself, here are some helpful links although we do recommend you make yourself familiar with the general New Zealand Standards that do apply country-wide


AS 1940:2017 – The storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids

AS-1692:2006 – Steel tanks for flammable and combustible liquids

Safe Work Instrument 2017 – Reduced secondary Containment for certain above ground stationary tanks


All the information you need about Diesel


While diesel is not a particularly flammable substance, it is an environmental hazard with considerable clean-up costs if it should leak into a drain, watercourse or the soil.


Diesel does not require a Location Compliance Certificate or a certified handler. When stored in a bulk storage tank of more than 5,000 litres, a Stationary container compliance certificate is required. This is also the case if the diesel is used in connection with an oil burning installation or an internal combustion engine, such as a generator. In this case, the threshold could be as low as 60 litres. There are exceptions where the diesel is used in a domestic oil burning installation. Check out this helpful guide to help you work out if your stationary container system needs a compliance certificate.

Diesel may be kept in a store room in a building, but the store room must have a fire resistance rating or a fire rated tank and the quantities allowed are limited, as is the package size.

If you are storing diesel on a farm, the rules are slightly different for diesel stored if your farm is more than four hectares. Check out this helpful guide on Above ground fuel storage on farms.


All the information you need about Petrol


Petrol is highly flammable and is one of the most hazardous substances that we use. Because it is so easily ignited, you must handle it with great care. If this is you, we recommend getting in touch with the right test certifier as early as possible.


All the information you need about Used or Waste Oil


If used oil is not stored, used or disposed of properly it can harm people and the environment. For example, it can contaminate ground and surface water, which can damage drinking water and aquatic life. If you follow the code, you will minimise the impact of used oil on people and the environment and comply with HSNO.

Check out this ‘Code of Practice regarding used oil’.

Check out this paper on the ‘Management and handling of used oil’.



Stay Informed

For the latest in industry news and products.

Website design and development by Ideation.